Thursday 5 September 2013

Means to an end: developing a brief for my term project.


Out of the two options given to me at the beginning of this semester- an advance specialization in a subject of fashion design, and a research project on any area in the field- I picked the latter. These were the factors I considered:
  • Where do my strengths lie? Do I want to spend this term trying to improve my weakness, or work my strengths? 
  • Which option is more helpful in the long run? That is, which one will help me prep for next term's Final Collection madness?
  • By choosing either, am I taking too much on my plate? Will I do justice to it?
My strength has always been in studying, analysing and conceptualising. My weakness lies in the actualising of my vision. Since in my next semester I will invariably end up having to do so, I thought it best to prep for it this term; finish all of my initial research in this stage so that I have enough time to work on my weak areas then.
Once I  had decided this, the next step was to create my own brief- what is it that I want to study, and how? At one point, the answers just came pouring down (don't you just love those moments?) and it looked something like this:
Now, this was just my initial idea. I brought in the factor of "minimalism" because it  has always been a part of my aesthetic, and I've always wondered why it is rarely associated with Indian design. But, on speculating, I realised that this narrows down the scope of my study hugely. I think what I meant to write was, "Basic Expression". To me, this is (what can globally recognised as) somewhat "minimalist". To another Indian woman, it could be extravagant. What does "Identity" mean to her, and how, most simply does she express it through her clothing? 
The plan is vast. I know this. But the fact that I now have an idea of what my final output will be based on is hugely comforting. With the help of my mentor, I have zeroed-in on which part I will spend the next two months working on... It's pretty much at the centre of my map, connected with the all-important double headed arrow.

To truly understand today's woman and her complex visual and personal identities, it is essential for me to dig into the past for the various classifications of and influences on clothing through the history of the country. This, by itself, is a tricky study. How can Indian wear be classified by any one criterion, if the wearer herself cannot? Region, religion, class, caste, economy, culture, society-- don't they each shape the wearer, and therefore the dress? Says Emma Tarlo in her book "Clothing Matters" (a result of her PhD on the subject of dress and identity in India-- my Bible for the project), "..Identities, like classifications, can be multiple and conflicting... in India, a country that is stratified on a number of different levels, the likelihood of wishing to identify with more than one group simultaneously is considerable."
My aim, therefore, is two-fold:
1. To study the evolution of women's wear through the various stages of conquest and colonization in India and the development of post-modern clothing for women;
2. To analyse the "identity" and its expression through clothing, and the change of this through time.

I hope to explore many methods and degrees of approach: reading published material, speaking with those who have knowledge of the subject, visiting museums/organizations/individuals who archive visuals or text on women and/or their clothing, watching films or documentaries, and so on.
I'm a little exhausted just thinking about it...
Until next time,  

No comments:

Post a Comment